All I need it to hear about this cake was that it was very difficult to make. Enough reason for me to give it a try! I must admit I was a little hesitant about the combination of cake and flan. To me it did not seem like a good combination, but boy was I wrong! This can be a fantastic dessert to impress your family and friends at your Thanksgiving table.
Ingredients: Yield: 12 servings
For the flan:
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
2 egg yolks
1 tbs vanilla
What makes this cake really special (my humble opinion) is the homemade caramel sauce.
In a medium bowl, whisk all flan ingredients until well combined. Set aside.
For the cake:
1 box of yellow cake (follow instructions in the box) Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
I recommend making the caramel sauce first, that way it will cool down while you prepare flan and cake batter.
1. In a bundt cake mould, pour 1 cup caramel sauce making sure it covers the whole bottom. Place caramel sauce on the side for later use.
2. Pour cake batter over caramel sauce and level with spatula.
3. Pour flan mixture over batter nice and slowly.
4. This cake will bake in a water bath, therefore make sure you have a larger baking dish to place bundt mould inside. About four inches of water is good. Bake for 60 minutes.
5. Carefully, remove bundt from water dish and cool for 5 minutes. Invert cake to serving platter. Now, of course the flan will be on top and cake on bottom. Inverting tip: place a large serving plate on top of bundt and and a thick kitchen towel on bottom.
6. Pour remaining caramel sauce over flan cake and refrigerate overnight.
Enjoy and have a wonderful Harvest Season!